Thursday, April 21, 2011

Here I am in Northern Louisiana.

My last night at Inks lake and my next night at Livingston lake got very hot and HUUMMID. Crazy, can't sleep in this so I have headed north to cooler climates. Well it is cooler here at Clairborne lake in northern Louisiana but unfortunately it is raining the wind is blowing and I have heard thunder so the possibility of my bedding drying out is kind of slim, although believe it or not it has dried out some. Hard to believe things can get so damp when it is in the high 30's. So as I was looking around this campsite I notice poles with antennas on them, hmm maybe WiFi, so sure enough here I am sitting in my tent storm bound using the WiFi, got to love it. Now it's just a matter of how long the batteries will last, if I only had an extension cord, power is not far away. So even though this site is $26 a night I am in the park rangers site and he has it booked as of today but not coming to use it until tomorrow so if I need to stay another night I get it for free.

So back to the scenery for the last 2 days. It has been mostly pine and oak forest with the more humid areas having very thick underbrush.Louisiana is more flat though with quite a bit more farming and cattle. Not sure on the weather state here but in the most areas of Texas they are having severe drought, hard to believe in the humid area as everything is so green, even the grass along the roads, one person told me that is because of the high humidity, hmm must just suck it out of the air I guess. Upon closer inspection between the trees he pointed out, that the ground has a lot of cracking in it and he said it would take at least 6" to moisten things up.

The following photos are between Inks Lake and Livingston Lake State Parks in Texas.
.














The rain its getting heavy, guess I'm here for a forced day of rest, just hope it clears up by tomorrow as I have to leave due to everything here being booked for the Easter weekend, hope I can find something else for tomorrow night.

Well the storm finally passed and after I finally found the hole in floor of my new tent and got everything dried  out I was able to go take a few photos.

The following are photos from Clairbourne Lake State Park in Louisiana.








A few thoughts to ad while I have the luxury of sitting at a table: When riding close to dusk it is always a little nerve racking as there is road kill everywhere and of course when it starts cooling off in the evening the deer start to move, so I try real hard not to ride then. Along with the dead dear all along the way there are also lots of either dead skunks or angry ones. Another challenge is all the Vultures and other large birds fighting over the dead carcasses on the side of the road. They quite often fly away just as a vehicle approaches narrowly missing and quite often not missing judging from the number of large dead birds on the side of the road.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all the photos. It's interesting seeing other places. Do you enjoy exploring where you haven't been before? It sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete