Monday, April 11, 2011

Bullhead to Yuma to San Diego to Yuma and then on to Organ Pipe National Park

The day was cool with a little rain but not too much until I got to Yuma and it started to pour soon after I arrived. With it raining so hard I thought I may as well ride to San Diego as I have wanted to go to the Temple there for the last 20 years or more, so off I went. As I approached the mountains the skies started to clear and it warmed up so I was enjoying the change. Ha to deal with the crazy California law of going slow with a trailer, not so sure it applies to bikes but can't afford to take a chance. As I climbed the mountain it got colder and colder until it reached a minimum of 4c. Then on to the west side and it got darker and darker and began to rain until by the time I found the Temple it was dark and wet so headed to a motel. By then it was really pouring. The guy at the desk asked where I was from and I told him, he said he sees all lots of Canadians down here on bikes, then said let me guess you ride a BMW, yup. He said there the only ones courageous enough to do it (said in a little different language), and then he gave me $10 of the room.To busy getting ready for the Temple and forgot about the free breakfast.



In the morning the weather had improved and was sunny but cool. The Temple was great, of course nobody thought that this grubby guy on a bike had actually been it there.

Back to Yuma ( oops forgot to get a picture of the ocean) The weather was mostly sunny but cool, especially at the top of the mountains. Got back to Yuma and it was about 23 perfect for camping but no campsite anywhere near so I had to get another motel. Well at least I would get internet, well so I thought. It didn't work for long and they couldn't fix it, so I got a  $10 discount.

So off I go to Organ pipe national park which is all about cactus. Very nice, like I have never seen before so taking more pictures. It was about 23 most of the way but I was a bit cool. Got to the park and set up and ate the rest of my Subway sandwich ( can't say I have done any cooking yet) Took a walk around the perimeter of the campsite hoping to find cactus bloom but didn't have much luck, a little early I guess. Went to bed as soon as it stated getting dark as I was beat. Rolled up the front of the fly so I could see the stars which was nice. Lots of noise in the distance so hard getting sleep, sounded like planes or helicopters. It was probably the border patrol as they are everywhere down here and have checkpoints all over the place where all the cars have to stop and get checked. There where actually more border control vehicles that passed by than all others put together.

So I decided to stay another day to rest, well it is warmer today, about 27, and no shade so can't really rest to much so I decided to drive to Ajo and get some groceries and here I am in the library. It probably would have been better to drive a short day. I've seen enough Cacti, now it's time to move on. There's a very small window of temperature on a bike that it is actually comfortable, so now I will probably be kind of hot.

















1 comment:

  1. Hi Dean,

    It's fun to follow you on your narrative; you... (can you believe this...)write really well and it's pleasant and enjoyable to visualize and imagine. I look forward to reading whatever you decide to write about it!

    So you are one of the only ones courageous enough to do it, huh?! Well I say, "Good for you!"

    I loved the photo of the Temple. Beautiful shot! And the bird on the cactus... brave like you, I guess.

    This is fun to enjoy your trip thru you! Take care; happy travels!

    ReplyDelete