Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Georgia Mountain rally.

I got here in Hiawassee at about 2 Thurs.afternoon after enjoying some nice roads on the way, some still little with debris from the previous nights wild storms but all the roads that I encountered were passable. I'm glad I got there a day early as lots of others did also. Found out for the rally if I wanted an actual campsite I had to book it and then after the fact I found out it also cost me an extra $10 a night on top of the rally fee, well better than sleeping on a grass slope dealing with all the snoring from the other tents in close proximity, not to mention having a picnic table as I don't do well with nothing but the ground to sit on. There were over 600 people at the rally. it was nice to see all the bike but the crowds and the line up are not for me so If I do more rallies it will most likely be smaller ones. One benefit to larger rallies is the venders. I could have gotten my shocks at at a $300 dollar savings and had them all set up. The weather was just about perfect, I guess it is very unusual for this rally with it being the only time in the last decade that it hasn't rained. Some guys close to my campsite invited me over so I had some interaction with people and wasn't completely alone. As far as I could see I was the only one that was by myself there. As I had expected I won the longest distance award, so that was nice, wish they had given them out earlier as that prompted a lot of people to start talking to me. Some would call me Alberta because they didn't remember my name. So nice to have the award because I am sure I will never travel this far again. One guy was having trouble sleeping on a slope so asked if it was okay to put his tent on a flat spot that he found in my site. he had a sleep machine and also needed to plug it in somewhere. He's from Indiana and invited me to stop by and stay on my way home, he runs a bed and
breakfast there, so we will see how my route home takes me. That's it for now, I need to write Steven, which is always my highest priority for Sun. I will post some pictures later.







No comments:

Post a Comment