Friday, June 12, 2015

Heading to the Coast June 2015! Day 1 and 2

Well although my trip down south was kind of short and this blog was supposed to be about my travels to all 49 states and back across Canada, I have put that on hold for now so will write of my other travel adventure as the mood moves me to. I am now able to head to the west coast to meet up with a few of my good OLD friends, some of which I haven't seen for almost 40 Years.

I took a nice long route to the coast. From Creston I headed up to Crawford Bay and took the ferry across Kootenay Lake and then up to Kaslo. The road was great and the the weather just as good. This is a road I never seem to get tired of, lots of curves and lots of beauty and fortunate enough to be an a bike that makes it all even more fun. Spent the night in the town campsite where they seem to have a reputation for treating people on bikes better than some others.

Following morning the weather seems to be heading for a change but still looking pretty good. Headed from Kaslo to New Denver, An even nicer road that the one yesterday. LOTS of great curves and good pavement all while enjoying the beauty along the way. Traveling this road you will also have the view of beautiful snow covered peaks in the distance. This is a road I highly recommend riding, even if you have before, I think I have ridden it every year for the past 5 years and it's still great.

Picked up some batteries in New Denver and got my Spot working again and then headed towards Nakusp. Yes, yet another great road and the weather is still hanging in there. Stopped in Nakusp to stock up on a bit of food and then headed down to the ferry at Fauquier that crosses the Arrow lakes to Needles. The road on the other side is yet another great road with lots of very tight corners along the way to Lumby.

I now headed to Kamloops, skies are threatening rain but it is very hot so not putting on the rain gear yet. As I headed up to Logan lake thinks cooled off and it started to rain, so on goes the rain gear. As I drop down into Ashcroft the rain has stopped and things are heating up again and even though the skies are still threatening rain I could stand it no longer and stopped to take off the rain gear.



Massive tailings lake of the giant cooper mine near Logan Lake


Now heading towards Pavillion and Lillooet and down the Duffy Lake trail as they call it.  This is another road that is very enjoyable on a bike and well worth taking. Some rough spots but lots of new pavement in the last year so overall quite a good road. Rain started soon after Lillooet so back on goes the rain gear and then I tend to slow down as even though I have great tires I am pretty cautious in the rain. I managed to make it to a campsite just past Pemberton where it wasn't raining and actually hadn't yet rained, so quickly set up the tent hoping that I would be lucky enough for it also to be dry when I packed up in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment